ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP
Learning to see is an essential part of learning to draw.
Through a series engaging exercises, Experimental Drawing Lab will take the fear out of learning to draw. Taking the focus off rendering objects exactly, we will follow a path of experimentation. To improve drawing language skills, students will focus on trusting their hand/eye coordination, extending their vocabulary of marks and using new materials. Students will strive to create well organized drawings by examining forms, structures and space with an open-minded sense of discovery.
Students will keep sketchbooks for the duration of class. Open to all levels.
Suitable for all levels; no experience necessary! Ages 19+
Jenny Nelson attended Maine College of Art in Portland Maine, and is a graduate of Bard College, where she received a scholarship to the Lacoste School of the Arts in France. She has been living in Woodstock, New York for nearly two decades, including a Residency at the Byrdcliffe Art Colony from November 2004-08. Jenny has been exhibiting for many years nationally and regionally including, Tria Gallery, Manhattan, NY; Hidell Brooks Gallery in Charlotte, North Carolina; Carrie Haddad, Hudson, NY and Pryor Fine Art in Atlanta, GA.
Jenny Nelson begins each of her canvases with layers of color that are improvised, abstract and even chaotic. Through a process of addition and subtraction she brings each painting closer to her personal sense of balance with sensitivity and an attention to detail.
Committed to abstraction — yet very sensitive to her environment Jenny Nelson creates paintings that are energetic, responsive and finely tuned.
- 2016 Sailing in Place, Hidell Brooks Gallery, Charlotte NC
- 2013 Traveling Light, Tria Gallery, Manhattan NY
- 2012 New Work, Smink Modern, Dallas TX
- 2012 New Work, Carrie Haddad Gallery, Hudson NY
- 2011 Awakenings (Duo with Keun Young Park) Tria Gallery, Manhattan NY
- 2010 New Paintings, Chace-Randall Gallery, Andes NY
- 2008 Autumn Elegance, Asher Neiman Gallery, Red Bank NJ
- 2008 The Light Between, Chace-Randall Gallery, Andes NY
- 2007 New Work, Carrie Haddad Gallery, Hudson NY
- 2006 Of Line and Light, Chace-Randall Gallery, Andes NY
- 2006 Abstractions, Gallery 100, Saratoga NY
- 2005 Spring Collection, Coffey Gallery, Kingston NY
- 2005 New Work, Carrie Haddad Gallery, Hudson NY
- 2004 Summer, Omega Institute, Rhinebeck NY
- 2004 New Work, Carrie Haddad Gallery, Hudson NY
- 2003 Paintings from Shady, Coffey Gallery, Kingston NY
- 2001 Fisher Studio Art Gallery, Annandale-on-Hudson
In an effort to maintain our non-toxic environment, the Woodstock School of Art does not permit the use of turpentine or mineral spirits in the painting studios. Additionally, please refrain from wearing perfume, cologne or scents of any kind. Learn more.
$270 ($250 tuition + $20 lab fee)
September 8–9, 2018, Saturday–Sunday, 9 AM–4 PM