ABOUT THIS WORKSHOP
This workshop is designed for painters interested in exploring more deeply the fundamental elements that come together to create a successful abstract painting. Students will begin by moving through a series of guided exercises, which will focus on paint application, composition, and the creation of organic shapes. There will be a focus on building a personal abstract language, as students will be given ample time to work independently with their own materials. There will be discussion of the work throughout class, as well as group critiques.
Open to intermediate and advanced students, ages 19+, with the ability to create work on their own. This is an oil painting workshop. Students should be familiar with using oil paint and the related materials.
Please contact the instructor with any questions at email@example.com
Jenny Nelson attended Maine College of Art in Portland, Maine, and is a graduate of Bard College, where she received a scholarship to the Lacoste School of the Arts in France. She has been living in Woodstock, New York for nearly two decades, including a Residency at the Byrdcliffe Art Colony from November 2004-08. Jenny has been exhibiting for many years nationally and regionally including, Tria Gallery, Manhattan, NY; Hidell Brooks Gallery in Charlotte, North Carolina; Carrie Haddad, Hudson, NY and Pryor Fine Art in Atlanta, GA.
Jenny Nelson begins each of her canvases with layers of color that are improvised, abstract and even chaotic. Through a process of addition and subtraction she brings each painting closer to her personal sense of balance with sensitivity and an attention to detail.
Committed to abstraction — yet very sensitive to her environment Jenny Nelson creates paintings that are energetic, responsive and finely tuned.
- 2016 Sailing in Place, Hidell Brooks Gallery, Charlotte NC
- 2013 Traveling Light, Tria Gallery, Manhattan NY
- 2012 New Work, Smink Modern, Dallas TX
- 2012 New Work, Carrie Haddad Gallery, Hudson NY
- 2011 Awakenings (Duo with Keun Young Park) Tria Gallery, Manhattan NY
- 2010 New Paintings, Chace-Randall Gallery, Andes NY
- 2008 Autumn Elegance, Asher Neiman Gallery, Red Bank NJ
- 2008 The Light Between, Chace-Randall Gallery, Andes NY
- 2007 New Work, Carrie Haddad Gallery, Hudson NY
- 2006 Of Line and Light, Chace-Randall Gallery, Andes NY
- 2006 Abstractions, Gallery 100, Saratoga NY
- 2005 Spring Collection, Coffey Gallery, Kingston NY
- 2005 New Work, Carrie Haddad Gallery, Hudson NY
- 2004 Summer, Omega Institute, Rhinebeck NY
- 2004 New Work, Carrie Haddad Gallery, Hudson NY
- 2003 Paintings from Shady, Coffey Gallery, Kingston NY
- 2001 Fisher Studio Art Gallery, Annandale-on-Hudson
In an effort to maintain our non-toxic environment, the Woodstock School of Art does not permit the use of turpentine or mineral spirits in the painting studios. Additionally, please refrain from wearing perfume, cologne or scents of any kind. Learn more.
$340 ($330 tuition + $10 lab fee)
November 4–6, 2019, Monday–Wednesday, 9 AM–4 PM
Please note that for workshops lasting all day there is a one-hour break from twelve noon to one PM. Students are invited to bring lunch and eat at the school or may go to any of the local dining establishments. The school does not provide lunch or refreshments.